Stove top burek, what an idea! An idea that actually worked out! I followed the method on how my mom makes lakror dough, its how the layers of dough become tender and flaky, instead of just rolling it out once. Since this was stove top all I needed was some feta and parsley, as spinach takes time to cook.
I cooked this in my cast iron pan on low heat. It came out delicious! My mom was surprised that it cooked so well on the stove top! My son who happens to be a picky eater and not a fan of lakror or burek…surprisingly (watch him beg for it when he is older;) loved it! He wanted more! So yes even your pickiest eater will enjoy this!
What you will need for dough:
- 2 tsp salted butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic wheat flour
- Approx 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- softened butter for layers and cooking
- 1 cup of feta
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup gjize or ricotta*