This was my first time making rhubarb pie….and preparing rhubarb for that matter! My dad loves rhubarb pie, so I was determined to make it! I am so glad I did! He loved it!
The first day the pie was a bit tangy, but by the next day it was sweet and tasted even better!
This is my adaption of the recipe from allrecipe
I learned how to prepare and use rhubarb on this site: all-about-rhubarb
I added a tsp of orange zest, as my Father said that is what my Grandmother did.
What you will need:
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 6 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Add rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
- Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350, and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup butter +3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp veg. oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk