This was my first time eating corn beef and cabbage, my mom made it, she does every year at work, this is the first time she made it home. I have to admit I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, and I loved it!! The cornbeef came salted (seasoned) so we didnt add any seasonings to it. Cooking the veggies separately made it even better. They didnt get terribly mushy, but cooked perfectly. If you want more flavour in your potatoes and cabbage then add them in the pan with the corn beef.
What you will need:
- 1- 3 lb seasoned corn beef brisket ( or use season packet if it comes with it)our piece did not have a lot of fat, just the right amount to keep it moist, and it was not greasy, the juices were mostly clear, not much fat at all.
- 2-3 cups water
- 2-3 small onions cut into quarters
- 6 bayleafs
- In a large roasting pan add corn beef, onions, bayleaf’s and water cover with foil wrap and lid. Bake in oven at 300- 325 for 3 hours. (use seasoned packet if it comes with it)
- 1 cabbage head (remove outer leaves and core) cut into big pieces
- 2 carrot sticks
- 5-6 medium size red potato’s cut into quarters
- 6 bayleafs
Bring to boil in salted water in a large pot, when tender drain.
When corn beef is done cooking, slice it and transfer meat and veggies in a serving plate with juices from corn beef covering it. Enjoy with some mustard, yummy:)