I made these for the teachers for the end of the year gifts. I love ladybugs, and wanted to make lady bug cake pops, but found it a bit difficult to work with for the first time.
I have made cake bites and there a bit different as I dont make them with so much icing, and I dont use candy melts for them.
I think they look pretty good for the first time making cake pops.
I painted the pots, and decorated them. Added some ‘teacher’ items such as scissors, crayons, pencils and erasers…oh and a ruler.
What you need:
- 1 Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix
- 3/4 of a can of Vanilla or Chocolate frosting
- Lolly candy sticks
- Candy Melts
- Disposable pastry bag for decorating (optional)
- Sprinkles if using.
I baked my cake according to directions. Cool cake completely
- Crumble cake in mixer or by hand
- Mix in with frosting till blended well
- Let mixture rest for 15 mins.
- Shape them into balls, and refrigerate till cold and firm
- Take candy melts and melt in microwave in 30 seconds intervals.
- Stick the lolly pop into cake ball to make a small indent and dip into the melted candy
- Place back into the indent that you made with the stick, the candy will harden and keep the cake ball in place.
- Cool again before dipping them into the melted candy melts.
- You can use any colour and design for your cake balls.
- Dip your cake balls in the sprinkles right after you dip them into the candy melts, as they set quickly.
- Have them set on a Styrofoam box that is covered with plastic wrap
For full step by step pictures visit the Facebook fan page: