- 3-5 cups ground walnuts, you want some texture so dont ground it too fine, just fine enough.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 pkg filo thawed
- greased pan
- 1/2 cup finely grounded pistachios for garnish
*The syrup must be cooled and poured over hot baklava or fingers
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
Bring the sugar and water to boil and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add a squeeze of lemon juice at end, then remove from pot and let cool. You might have extra syrup leftover you can use for other uses.
The way I test to see if its the right consistancy is , take a spoon dip into the pot while its boiling. If the syrup is sticking to the spoon, when you take the spoon out, then perfect. If its just watery then you need to add more sugar, and continue to cook till thickens a bit.
If its too thick like honey add some water. It will take some practice, once you get the hang of making syrup and the perfect consistency you will be a pro at it:)
*Do not add hot syrup over hot baklava*
* Either one should be hot and the other cool*
MAKE SYRUP AHEAD OF TIME!!!
When baked and syrup has been poured over, garnish with the finely grounded pistachios
- Note: You are in control with how much syrup you want, you may like a lot or not, it soaks it up pretty quick. So add with a ladle and taste one and see if you like the texture, if not add more
- Follow instructions from bottom picture to top, I posted step by step photos and instructions under each picture.